Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Thoughts About Santa


      More Letters From Paradise
        Thoughts About Santa

      One Christmas etched forever in my memory is of two little girls, Jennifer and Jessica,   dressed in long flannel night gowns, with frilly cuffs, waiting for Santa. A fellow I knew who worked for Detroit Edison, often played Santa. He said that if I would give him two wrapped gifts, he would  make a surprise visit.  At the appointed hour and day, there was the sound of sleigh bells, the front door was flung open and there stood Santa! Both girls were simply in awe! With a hearty ho ho he handed them each a gift, and was out the door in a flash.
      One time when my youngest boy,  Jeremy, was in day care, I was asked to play Santa. I accepted the offer, and enjoyed the role.  I even held Jeremy on my lap, and he didn't recognize me!  I failed to receive an oscar for my performance, but I did get a bottle of booze. Best ever Santa, the ladies all said.
      And still trusting to memory, there was the Santa on the Island of Molokai. Tonto and I had spent a week on the Island, each December for some time. This Santa had on the traditional costume, but on his feet in place of boots, were two big brown feet attached to rubber sandals!
      And just recently, as we were heading home tearing alaong at a brisk clip, on the top of the mall, I suggested to Tonto, that if she would speed up, she could take out the huge Santa located there. Picture in the paper too. She declined.

          Aloha
          Grant

1 comment: