Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Plea for Understanding


      More Letters From Paradise
 
       A Plea For Understanding

Tonto and I watched the "Country Music Awards," and I  became upset again by the singers' poor diction. I really enjoy country music because it is honest. Songs about love,loss,and humor, are understood by everyone. Now, there is nothing wrong with these old ears. But I am sure that some of what was sung might have been more enjoyable, if you were able to understand what the songs were about.We recently attended a concert featuring the 87 year old Tony Bennet. We understood every word of every song he sang. With his use of proper diction, we came to know where it was that he left his heart.
Why is it that the ancient Greeks sat on cold marble seats to hear the words spoken in their plays? The same reason why we all attend plays and the movies. We want to hear the spoken dialogue. I could go on and on , but I know I am preaching to the choir, unless you have taken up with the guitar recently.
I am not picking on only country singers, but almost all modern singers of pop music are guilty. But I think I have found a possible cure.
Back to the ancient Greeks again. There was a man known as Demosthenes, who had a speech problem. In order to correct his problem, he put washed pebbles in his mouth. Keeping a pebble in his mouth while speaking, he corrected his diction.
My proposal is that every guitar sold would also include a small bag of marbles.

         Aloha
         Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment