Thursday, December 5, 2013

More Letters from Paradise

The New Normal

Tonto and I used to joke that when we could no longer fly, we would get a dog.  Guess what? That time has suddenly come upon us.  We met with a neurologist, Dr. Olaru, yesterday and received some very sobering news.  Not only can I not drive, but I also cannot fly.  Or take baths, swim in a pool or ocean.  You see, in our ignorance, we assumed that the medicine I am taking would prevent further seizures.  Wrong!  It  does not do so.  There is a better than 50% chance that I will have another seizure.  Flying over the Pacific for 5 hours at 30,000 feet and having a seizure would be a most unpleasant event for all involved.  I had for a time, been down on the 6th floor exercise room and we thought that we could communicate with our cell phones.  Wrong again.  With a seizure, I would go out like a light.  These revelations and others were revealed to us by our dr.  We were then told we had two choices: either continue to live our life as usual, travel, etc, or continue to live where we are where we can receive medical care and where our records are.  We made the second choice.  But if we have to be stranded or isolated, what better place than Hawaii.  Tonto has cancelled our trips to the mainland and we are thinking about buying a dog.  We welcome visitors.  Thanks to Tonto I now have a website.  So to read more about our adventures from my standpoint see:

grantsmart@morelettersfromparadise.com

Aloha
Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment