Thursday, December 5, 2013

Talking Turkey



          More Letters From Paradise

              Talking Turkey
     Reading one of my cooking magazines today, got me to thinking about all the turkeys I have been associated with over the years. I have cooked a turkey almost every year since I graduated from college. I raised a small number of turkeys once, and promised so many of them, that I did not have one left for me. My neighbor said that it was the best one they had ever eaten. That was pretty stupid of me.
     
    But one other time I feel I redeemed myself. There are a small group of islands at the west end of Lake Erie. One of them is called South Bass Island, and is a favorite port of call for all boaters. One big party all summer long. I went one summer, carrying with me a large electric roaster,a frozen turkey, stuffing mix, onions, potatoes, celery, sage etc. Cooking dockside, mashing potatoes with a beer bottle,and later having a grand meal, while sitting in our bathing suits. This feat was discussed for years.

    I am quite fond of those little hamburgers called White Castles, which have been around since 1921. They are real cheap, and come with onions, a small patty of meat, and a pickle on top. You may also have cheese added. Anyway, I once came across a recipe using White Castles to stuff a turkey for Thanksgiving. I tried it and all present at dinner said that it was quite good. To make stuffing you tear up the bun, remove the pickle, and cheese if it is a cheeseburger. Chop up some onion and celery, and add some sage. Mix all together and moisten with chicken broth. 
    And speaking of White Castles, for my 75th birthday, we served them to our guests. The current record is held by my friend Dennis, who consumed 28 burgers.

               Aloha
               Grant
    Here in Hawaii, turkeys are very cheap. You can often get a 12lb. bird for five bucks.The prices range from 39 cents a pound to a little over a a dollar a pound.

     
    In closing, I would like to share with you with a recipe for cranberry relish, which has been served in my family forever. 

    All you need is a bag of cranberries, one large seedless orange, and one large apple plus about a cup of granulated sugar. To make the relish: Rinse the berries and grind until coarse. Do the same with the orange, including the rind. Remove the seeds from the apple and grind it too. Mix all together with sugar. If it is too tart for your taste, add more sugar. I bet you could have figured it out for yourself. This freezes well too. It is nice to serve cranberry relish in the Summer. Enjoy

               Aloha
               Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment