Thursday, December 5, 2013

I Like Aprons



I Like Aprons

Maybe I just got into the habit of wearing an apron working at the A&P supermarket, while in high school. Anyway, I always wear one while cooking. There are some very good reasons to do so. First of all, it protects your clothes if you are wearing any. And an apron is a good place to dry your hands, or a towel, if one is hanging from it. The single most important feature of an apron is that it must have two large pockets on the front. These are essential for carrying bottles of wine or other beverage. These pockets will hold handfuls of silverware, salt and pepper shakers, and small kittens or puppies.
I have several aprons, but I must mention a couple of odd ones I have acquired. The first one is made out of a used Japanese rice bag. Another apron which was a gift from our friends, Jim and Ann, is made to be beer proof. It is slick-looking and has a can holder, with an opener attached. A very interesting and useful variety. And then there is the everyday apron, the beer apron, which meets all the requirements from Connie and Ray, with its subtle from lettering, "Welcome to the Brew-Ha-Ha."
I thought had seen it all until my recent birthday. Our friends Gary and Lori from the Big Island gave me the gift of a welder's apron! I am now protected at the kitchen stove for temperatures up to 1,000 degrees, and it weighs a ton. I think I still like aprons.
Aloha
Grant
 — in Honolulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment