Thursday, December 5, 2013

Banjo Strings Remind Me of a Drugstore


 Banjo Strings Remind Me of a Drugstore

      Saturday, after finishing my paper route, I reported for my job at the Rexall Drugstore. My employer was Mr. Ralph Pitts. He was a man of medium size, with gray hair, glasses, and the traditional white coat. And he was never without a smile. He was the sole employee, except me on Saturday.
      The building was very old, with a high false front, two divided windows set on either side of the front door. It had once been painted blue and white, but that must have happened years before. Inside the store there was a great deal of wood to be seen. In addition to a counter at the rear, there were drawers under the counter, and along one there were scores of drawers.
       My first job upon reporting was to take out the trash to the burn barrel. Then I was to remove all the sale signs from the windows. I learned that acetone is good for getting off Scotch Tape. Then it was time to wash the windows, and put up new signs as directed. I sometimes had to wrap boxes of Kotex in gray paper to disguise the contents.  Mr. Pitts managed to find other things to do too. There was one job I did not like. That was oiling the floor. The floor was either made of walnut or oak. My job was to sweep it clean, then mop linseed oil on it. When I was finished with my work, Mr. Pitts had me figure what he owed me for my 45 cents an hour.
      I remember Mr. Pitts giving me a Christmas gift of two 45rpm (big center hole) albums.  Both albums were RCA red seal classics. He knew that I enjoyed classical music.

I will always remember the time when I pulled open a couple of drawers to find one filled with empty gelatin capsules, and another full of bulk sulfur. The contents of one drawer which really surprised me was that it was full of banjo strings! But I don't recall that we ever sold any.

              Aloha
              Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment