Thursday, December 5, 2013

Requiem For a Microwave


   More Letters From Paradise

        Requiem For a Microwave

     I didn't love you the first time we met, GE Profile Spacemaker XL 1800. I distrusted you. I knew of your shady WWII past, known only as" Radar," tracking enemy planes. Then after the war, there was your fat cousin called "Radar Range." She took up most of the kitchen counter.
     But when we first met, I found you light, slim, and attractive. You opened your door to me, and showed me your warranty. Then you went on to show me your start button, and the right numbers, which would make you get hot and whirl in a dance.
Even as I used you, I came to love you. How can I forget the many 30 second eggs, cups of coffee re-heated, and the vegetables steamed in plastic bags? But by far your best work, was the wonderful frozen lasagna you baked.
     But the end of our affair came yesterday when you did not respond to my touch. Your turntable was cold, and you did not dance. And so now as they come to pull your plug,you leave me with the aroma of maple flavored bacon. I will miss you.

                Aloha
                Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment