Tuesday, December 10, 2013

King Herod


     More Letters From Paradise
              King Herod
The following is a dramatic reading I wrote some time ago, for the Christmas season. You have only to dress King Herod, let him gesture, and speak these words:
     (enter Herod)
I tried to kill him. I really did. But I can't be sure.
Many others died too, but it couldn't be helped.  I mean, after all I am a king.
Kings sometimes have to do unpopular things.  I know that I am not loved by anyone, but that is alright, because I don't trust anybody either.
And that includes our "guests, the Romans."
(after a pause)
I have to tell you that it all began with the star. The news of the star, that is.
I was just finishing a plate of figs, when word reached me about a bright star over the village of Bethlehem.
You may think me mad, but my informers told me that it was unlike anything they had ever seen. Bright as the light of a thousand torches, and it stood still.
Normally, I would have shrugged off information such as this. A king hears many things.
But this was different. The information came from three men with royal bearing, who said they had been following this star for many weeks.
They were looking for the one who had been born King of the Jews. I was upset when I heard this, but I managed to conceal it.
(after a pause)
After dinner I called them together secretly and asked at what exact time the star appeared.
They told me, and I ordered them to search carefully for the child. And to let me know when they had found him, so that I might worship him too.
I think they believed me.
Of course I had no intention of worshiping a baby as a King of the Jews.
I am the king, and I will not tolerate anyone who is a threat to my power.
I thought they had believed me, but someone  must have told them. Because they did not return as I had ordered.
My informers told me that they had been warned in a dream not to return here.
That is, of course, nonsense. But I have also learned that they found the child and his mother in a stable in Bethlehem.
They were so convinced that he was the Messiah, they even gave him gifts.
Imagine, the King of the Jews, born in a stable!
It was laughable, but still a king  has to be careful, so I ordered that all baby boys two years old and younger, to be killed.
This way I thought he could not escape.
But I am troubled by a paradox. If he is the Messiah, and I say "if," born to establish a new kingdom, I may have missed killing him. And, if he really is the Messiah, have I killed him?
Do you know? Have you heard of the Messiah?
(End and exit)
 
          Aloha
          Grant

1 comment: