Thursday, December 5, 2013

Georgia On My Mind


         Georgia on my Mind

 I think it was a couple of years ago, when Tonto and I visited the Santa Fe Art Museum. We were expecting to see a number of paintings by Georgia Okeefe. Alas, there were very few. You may remember her large paintings of a single flower. Some say that they depict the female vagina. She lived near Santa Fe, and used the desert as her palate. Anyway, our own Honolulu Art Museum, is now having a showing of some of her work, painted in Hawaii. We never suspected this, We always associated her with New Mexico. Also showing, are photographs by the famous photographer Ansel Adams. Again, we were surprised. We were well aquainted with his photos of the wide desert vistas. But,photos taken in Hawaii! And they are simply great! Having been a photographer myself, I was greatly impressed. As for the Georgia Okeefe exhibet, it was pretty poor. Only one large flower painting; a few smaller ones painted for Dole Pineapple Co. A sketch book,some pictures, and that's all. The point being I guess, is that she was here. 
 Thinking of Georgia Okeefe led me to the song "Georgia on my Mind"written by Hoagy Carmichael,which I am trying to learn to play. And, if you will permit me, a poem I wrote way back in 1984:

              Georgia

          Georgia I love you
      I love your red rich earth
        The bright green leaves
          of the pecan groves
             the twisted
             tortured limbs
            of the live oaks
         hung with Spanish moss.
         I love the smell of your       
         Pine and fresh-cut boards                     
           I love too the sound
             of your voices
            The crash of waves
              upon your beach
               a palm branch
              scraping against 
                 a window
           the rich dark laughter 
           of some of your people
                 Georgia
                I love you 

                 Aloha
                 Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment