Thursday, December 5, 2013

Random Thoughts on Growing Older



    Random Thoughts on Growing Older

I can't remember which came first, the new crease under my lower lip, the gray hair falling from the clippers, or the invitation from AARP. Then, in what seemed short order, Social Security and all the wonders associated with old age. 
The Chinese have a saying that if you want to know anything, speak to three old people. I am now an old person, but nobody has come to me for an answer. Maybe it is because I'm not Chinese. Who knows?
An old guy I know from the Czech Republic tells me that old age is cruel. And he is right. Things just don't work as well as they used to, there are aches and pains. Another guy I know is bent-over, shuffles along with a walker on thick legs. He once was a fighter pilot, flying P-47, and P-51 Mustang planes in combat. Yes, old age can be cruel, but not always. My friend Paul is 92, still drives, dances and has a girlfriend who is 90. Both of them are still going strong. A friend reminded me that there have been a great number of people who never had the chance to enjoy old age. 

There are a large number of benefits that come with old age. In addition to Social Security, there are reduced price movie tickets. And here in Honolulu, at Don Quixote, a Japanese market, a ten percent discount is given to seniors, on Tuesday. There is always a crush of Japanese shoppers.
And $30 will get you a year-long bus pass. 
Senior Citizens really contribute to the economy. There is a saying here that if you didn't have doctor"s appointments, you wouldn't have any social life at all. We provide full-employment for the medical profession, also the dental and optical, hearing etc. Who do you suppose buys all those walkers, cane, and hearing aids?

And as seniors, we can recall from memory some of the important dialogue from famous motion pictures. Remember these words from Gone With the Wind, " As God is my witness, "I will never be hungry again!" Or from "Casablanca," You will regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life."

The members of our tribe here have a drinking toast we always say,"Good health, longvity,and prosperity. A friend suggested we add the word "happiness," to our toast. I think we will. 

                Aloha
                Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment