Saturday, July 26, 2014

Never, Ever Bored


      More Letters From Paradise
          Never Ever Bored
"What do you do with your free time?" is a question we are often asked. Tonto keeps busy with yoga and playing bridge. In addition she plays scrabble with friends on the internet, and the Sunday cross word puzzle.

As for me I am studying Hebrew (self-taught), reading, writing, cooking, and practicing my tenor ukulele. A friend recently installed an amplifier in it. When there is a feed-back squeal, Mr. Fuzzy runs away from me.

Alright, you can probably understand the ukulele, but why study Hebrew? In the seminary I attended, it was Greek that was studied. I have been around the whole circuit of Christian beliefs, from Roman Catholic to many Protestant denominations. I found them all at fault, and I wanted to get back to the very beginning. Hence, the study of Hebrew. I find it is very difficult, but also very rewarding. And along the way I am learning a lot about Israel etc. This includes jokes. He is my favorite:

A lady tourist was visiting Jerusalem, and the battery died in her travel alarm clock.  She didn't speak Hebrew, or read it. So she wandered around looking for some place that could replace the battery . After a time, she saw in the window of a shop, clocks and watches. She entered the shop and handed her clock to the man behind the counter. He said, "Madam, I don't repair clocks, I am a rabbi, I do circumcisions." She said,  "Then why all the clocks and watches in the window?" The rabbi replied, "So what should I have put in the window?"  

     Aloha
     Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment