Sunday, August 21, 2016

Homecoming 1945


       More Letters From Paradise
           Homecoming 1945

I awoke this morning thinking about my father's return from the war in Europe. This is how I remembered it.

The war was over at last. Mom had kept a large European map pinned to one wall of the dining room. There was a red colored pen which represented my father, and guessing where he was. All soldier's mail was censored. My father said later that mom was often right spot on as to where he was.

He had written to tell us to expect him any day soon. Our small four room, white-sided house with its tiny front porch and empty one car garage, was located not far from the brick two story school with its large windows.

My desk was located close to a window, and  I saw a yellow taxi pulling up to the front of our house! I simply couldn't contain my excitement, and waved my hand and asked to   to be excused. My teacher, understanding the importance of the moment, said that I could go! It had been a long three years since he had left us. I ran home faster than I had ever run before.

And there he was. He was in his uniform, his trousers bloused above jump boots, a chest with many colored ribbons, and corporal strips and division patch on the sleeves of his Eisenhower jacket. At his feet lay his duffel bag with dried mud on it. "That's French mud." he later said.

He had brought me a box containing plastic models of fighters and bombers. In his bag wrapped in clothing emerged three weapons. There was a German Luger, an Army 45, and a Walther PPK which was used by the German SS Divisions. The was also a German bayonet, British Commando knife, some Swastka armbands, and a handful of Iron Crosses. I  sometimes wonder how he managed to bring all of this home.

This all happened so long ago, but this is how I remember it.

      Aloha
      Grant

 

No comments:

Post a Comment