Monday, June 18, 2018

Thefts in Paradise


       More Letters From Paradise
         Thefts in Paradise

The night before Easter, Tonto had made a pineapple casserole. I took it down to the empty condo down the hall, which we look after, while its owner is away living in Guam. I opened the door to the refrigerator, and saw that someone had stolen the ham, were planning on having for Easter dinner! We often use this refrigerator for Christmas turkey and other large items.

So we went shopping for a ham Easter morning. We could not figure out who the thief was, until the apartment owner in Guam asked his cleaning lady about the missing ham. She said that she thought that it was left by the people who had last used the apartment. So she took it and gave it away to some people she thought could use it. I should note that she knew that we often talk to her, and Tonto had even washed some towels for her. She could have asked, but all is well. We will in the future write our name all over whatever item we leave. I am glad we discovered the theft before Easter day.

And speaking the theft. Tonto and I were recently in Walmart, and I wanted a can of corned beef from Argentina. You know, the kind of can with the sloping sides, and a key you have to wind around the can to open it. Much to my surprise I found the can of corned beef inside of a clear plastic box. I thought  that it was odd, but that I could probably use the box for something else. I tried to slide the latch to open the box and it didn't budge. When checking out the cashier had to use a special tool to open the box. I can only assume that Walmart had had a number of cans stolen. I wonder too what are they going to do about the great stacks of Spam. I bet Spam is also under threat of theft. We will just have to wait and see what is done.

   Aloha
   Grant  

No comments:

Post a Comment