Friday, June 12, 2015

That Old Machine


 
      More Letters From Paradise
          That Old Machine

"What's that old machine?"she said, pointing with her finger. "Is it an old computer?" "No, "
I said, "It is called a typewriter."

I learned how to type in my junior year of high school. It was tough to work stiff, cold fingers during those winter mornings when typing was first period. I never realized then how important being able to type was going to be in my future.

Following high school I joined the Navy, and it was there that I discovered I would be able to use my skill with the keys. After boot camp and assigned to a base, I spent my spare time reading. The time came for me to report to the USS Tarawa, an aircraft carrier. When I arrived, the ship was at sea, and it was on some hush hush secret mission. I found out later that it was a rocket launch to the moon.  Usually a sailor would be flown out to meet the ship.  But, not this time.  I was stuck in a transient barracks until my ship returned. But soon a master chief yelled, "Any you guys know how to type?"  It is almost a rule that you should never volunteer for anything.  But here was a way to avoid picking up cigarette butts, and other low, miserable chores."Yes, I called out, " I can type like the wind!"  I really could type 56 correct words a minute.

So until my ship returned I typed lesson plans for the guys who were teaching various aspects of the S2F anti-sub carrier aircraft. I made the guys happy, and I learned a whole lot about that aircraft. I   also had my weekends off.

After a time my ship returned and I served aboard until later when I was discharged, and went off to college.

Anyone who has ever been to college knows about term papers. I was again typing.  Following graduation and my first teaching job, I once again made lesson plans. There were also tests to be typed.

Next, it was graduate school and a Master's thesis to be typed. I think it was 40 pages, about a slave revolt.  Good true story, I should have published it.

There was typing again for another MA degree. This time it was for a seminary where I was enrolled. I summarized every book of the Bible. Whew!

I made the transition to computers, but I miss my old typewriter.  I want to mention watching linotype operators at their keyboards, typing words that came out in lead slugs for the evening newspaper. And while in the Navy watching and listening to the chatter of teletype machines. I still miss my typewriter. And here I am again typing.        

       Aloha
       Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment