Monday, May 5, 2014

Molasses Cookies


     More Letters From Paradise
        Molasses Cookies
I made a batch of molasses cookies today. You may know the kind I mean; round, flat, with strawberry jam in the center of each cookie. I haven't made them in a long time. As I prepared the dough, I thought of my grandfather. It was he who introduced me to these cookies. He would walk me down to a bakery where I became a true believer. I learned years later that he had lost some bakery stock in the great crash of 1929. That must have explained one reason why we went there so often.

My dough was shaped into a walnut-size ball, then rolled in granulated sugar. Then my finger pushed a hole into each dough boll.   Next,I filled each hole with strawberry preserve. Ten minutes  in the oven, and the deed was done. My grandfather would really have enjoyed these cookies.  Recipe on  request. From here in Honolulu on a bright sunny day...

       Aloha
       Grant  

No comments:

Post a Comment